There have been three churches on the site in Shelley, all dedicated to Saint Peter. The original was founded around 1328 and consisted of a nave and chancel of stone with a wooden turret. It fell into disrepair and was declared unsafe around 1800 and demolished in 1810, when a second building was erected using the same foundations.
However, it was of such poor quality that by 1886 it was showing signs of deterioration. In 1888 a faculty was obtained for building yet another church, the one that we see today.
For lots more information on the church please click on the links below: